And she is back! – While work for next articles is waiting in my drawer, I thought to make a short post on the release of a new single (maxi) by popular ballad singer and movie cult siren Kaji Meiko (梶 芽衣子・かじ めいこ)😍. I’m a big fan of her music and have translated two of her songs so far here on MyLittle Dejima. The links for those articles you may find at the end ⬇ of this post – tune in🎶.
It’s been a long 6 years since her last work, the album Aitsu No Sukisona Burusu (あいつの好きそなブルース; Blues He Might Like) and for the newest creation she entered into a unique collaboration with J-Rock producer and artist Suzuki Shinichirou (鈴木慎一郎・すずき しんいちろう; artist name SHIN・シン), whereby the two bring about new sound of Japanese rock ballads✨. The single was released on March 22th, 2017, two days prior her 70th birthday on March 24th🎂, when she will also give a live performance for the occasion of her new single – at this stage a heartfelt Happy Birthday Kaji Meiko・梶芽衣子様、お誕生日おめでとうございます🎈🎉!!新曲、ワクワクお楽しみにしております💓!
The single can therewith also be considered an anniversary CD and contains 6 songs total, 3 vocal and 3 instrumental:
- 凛・Dignified（RIN; 新曲・new song）
- 触れもせず・Not Even with a Touch（SAWAREMOSEZU; 新曲・new song）
- 怨み節・Jeremiad (Grudge Song)（URAMI BUSHI; ROCKバージョン2017・rock version 2017）
Her songs are as tasteful and expressive as ever😘 and fans of this classy lady may look forward to two new pieces as well as a rock version of one of her best-known songs, Urami Bushi (怨み節・うらみぶし; Jeremaid or Grudge Song) that was featured in both Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill and the Japanese prison film Female Convict 701: Scorpion (女囚701号/さそり・じょしゅう701ご/さそり; starring Kaji Meiko herself). This third piece clearly carries the signature of the producer’s background🎸.
Get an ear full 🎧 with the official release video down below🎵. The CD you can pick up here on amazon.co.jp through their global program. Below the video, I added the lyrics in Japanese and my own translation will follow later on (bear with me).
I don’t know about you, but I certainly get that excitement and spring feeling🌺.
夢(ゆめ)と未練(みれん)と嗤われて(わらわれて) 覚めて(さめて)みせます まだ覚めてきれぬ
女(おんな) 女 女心(おんなごころ)の怨み節(うらみぶし)
You might also be interested in the following article(s)/page(s):
- 雨の夜あなたは – On a Rainy Night, You… by 梶 芽衣子・Meiko Kaji
- あかね雲 – Rosy Shimmering Cloud by 梶 芽衣子・Meiko Kaji
- The unfulfilled Ambition of an Edo Police Chief Inspector
- Words in plum and orange color link to other articles/pages on MyLittle Dejima
- Words in rose color link to external references/pages
- Words in simple bold, titles and article relevant information without external reference
- For Japanese related words Hiragana (ひらがな), Katakana (カタカナ) and Kanji (漢字) are added for those interested in Japanese terminology
- First published: March 24th, 2017